457 visa holders
The Department of Home Affairs has announced that 457 applicants and visa holders (as at 18 April 2017) will not need to meet all of the new requirements and will instead be able to preserve their eligibility for ENS and RSMS through the Temporary Residence Transition stream.
To be eligible for these transitional arrangements, applicants must have either:
- Held a 457 visa as at 18 April 2017, or
- Had a pending 457 visa application as at 18 April 2017, which resulted in the approval of a 457 or TSS visa.
Applicants who are eligible to apply via these provisions will not need to meet the new requirements in relation to:
- Occupation: applicants may qualify even if their occupation is not on the MLTSSL or has since been removed from the occupations list altogether
- Age: applicants may still qualify if they are aged between 45 and 49 years of age. In some instances, further exemptions may apply to those aged above 49 years
- Work experience on the 457 visa: applicants may qualify once they have worked in their nominated occupation for their nominating employer for at least 2 years whilst holding the 457 visa